Monday, August 3, 2009

I'm throwing in the name badge


In July 1996 I got my first job in the healthcare industry. I worked at Hillhaven Rehabilitation Center and Rest Home in downtown Salt Lake, 40 hours a week as a Certified Nurse Assistant. It was by far the most physically demanding job I have ever had, including being a maid at my dad’s lodge. I would literally sweat for eight hours. I wore comfortable, ugly white tennis shoes and scrubs that I knew would get sweaty and dirty. Even though I was at the young age of 21 I would often need a nap when I got home.

I started nursing school in January 1997. I changed jobs and started working at the University of Utah Hospital as a Health Care Assistant in April 1997. I worked in the resource department which means that each day I worked the hospital would tell me what floor needed me and that is where I spent my 8 or 12 hour day. Working “resource” was a great way to experience every floor in the hospital and eventually gave me the insight that I don’t like adult nursing.

May 1999 I graduated from nursing school and three months later began working in the Newborn ICU at the University of Utah hospital. I took care of premature babies ranging from 23 –34 weeks as well as sick term newborns. I learned how to start IV’s, work with ventilators, draw blood, give medications and blood products, manage infants temperature and oxygen, tube feed and teach babies how to bottle feed. I am an expert at changing diapers, the burrito wrap, and calming the most stressed baby. What I value more than learning these skills was what I learned from the remarkable people I worked with. Through years of working with them I observed how they live their lives. I would listen to their stories in amazement. No matter the heartache or trial they pressed forward, never giving up. I have never seen such strength and perseverance. I will forever be changed because of their example.

Throughout the years, in many ways, working tied me down and complicated my schedule making life seem harder. But in so many other ways working provided blessings, freedoms, and opportunities we otherwise would not have been able to enjoy. Though it didn’t seem obvious at the time, working made life easier. I always knew working was the right thing to do. I’m grateful I was supported and helped along the way.

Thank you to my parents who encouraged me and helped me through college. Thank you to my mom who watched my kids each day and night I worked. Thank you to Jason who stepped it up with housework and other responsibilities to help lighten my load.

I feel more than ever the importance of treasuring my time. Since time goes by so fast, every moment of every day needs to be spent wisely.

With the blessing of not having to work and having more time comes more accountability for me. I will need to answer for how I use my time.

"Thanks for the memories."



10 comments:

jared said...

i am excited your you Suz... I am trying to get Nannette to chase after promotions and recognition. Maybe someday she can make it so I don't have to work... The more time with family the better (until the teenagers show up)
Congratulation!

Ed and Susan said...

Great blog about your retirement. You were a great NICU nurse and I'm sure they'll miss you.

Wendy said...

I think you chose the perfect time to simplify. Looking back, you can be proud of your accomplishments and contributions....looking forward you can have more rewarding family time. Keep in mind that you have shown your girls that working is a good and honorable thing to do.

Lisa said...

Suz, you are one of the main reasons I work here and love my job so much. You are also the gentle, loving hands that took care of my own babies who were born too soon. I will miss you around here so much, but I know you're doing the right thing for you and your family. I'm so grateful I know you outside of work and our friendship will continue on...love you, Lisa

Jason Poulsen said...

Suzanne,
I'm glad you have finally achieved your much deserved retirement....we wouldn't be anywhere near where we are today without your hard work to get us through medical school and raising our kids...I really can't say enough, but I love you!!!
-J
(P.S. I will miss flirting with the cute NBICU nurse on those occasions we were both at work at the same time :) )

Annejelynn said...

ahhh... bravo, my dear, bravo! oxo

Teresa said...

That's so exciting! I know there was a little sadness when I quit at the attorney's office when Cameron was born as I loved my job and who I was there but I'm so excited for you to be able to have more time with your family and start seeing the blessings from all the sacrifices you've made for your husband and family. You are one of the most amazing women I know as I can't even imagine how you've done all that you've done and so well! I often feel I can barely manage my life without working and sometimes can't! You've been such a great example to me these past few years of a great mother and friend and despite how busy you've been you're always the first to help someone else and show so much selfless service to everyone. You deserve all you've accomplished including your incredible family.

Em said...

Good for you Suzanne!

Natty bee Seely said...

Wow this really surprises me, but I feel very happy for you. It's sounds like you are very blessed for the time you served those babies, and now looking forward to serving your own babies.
I am so excited to see you over dinner. Soon.

McKinlay Family said...

You are awesome. I saw you work hard to get through school, you will never stop being a caretaker. You care for all around you. Good luck on the new chapter.