Saturday, July 26, 2008

SPUDMAN

I’ve been told that when you try something new you have to do it three times before you know if you like it or not. The Spudman triathlon was my third triathlon and I loved it! I enjoyed it much more than the first two, which is weird because it is double the distance, (0.9 mile down stream swim, 24-mile bike ride, and 6 mile run). Driving to the race this morning I was not excited and wondered if triathlons were really my thing…I think they might be! The Spudman was so much more fun than I thought it would be. I really had a good time. My body wasn’t shocked by the activity and time seemed to go by very fast.

The 18 min swim down the snake river wasn’t bad at all. I owe it all to my buoyant, warm wetsuit and the river current.

The 1 hour 16 min bike ride was a mostly flat loop around Idaho potato farmland. I’m so happy I didn’t fall or get my first flat tire.


The 58 min run was on an enjoyable course and surprisingly my favorite part of the race. Half of it was on a little dirt road and half was on paved country roads. Some of the locals were so kind as to have their sprinklers on to run through. One girl had her hose on spraying eager runners as they went by. They even had an old fire truck spraying creek water in the air.


My favorite part about racing was seeing how excited Jason was for me. He was so supportive and proud of me for just doing it. It was so comforting having him there when I started the swim. While I was swimming he walk to where I got out of the river and watched me get on my bike. When I was done biking he was at the transitional area as I got my running shoes on and cheered as I left. And of course he was waiting eagerly at the finish line.


My brother Jared was at each transition as well, supporting me and his wife Nanette. Jason had a great time hanging with Jared and they both made it clear that, while we were racing, it was tough work being out in the sun, walking around, sitting in lawn chairs, drinking cold water, and taking pictures. Next year they might step it up a little bit and be just like this guy: click on the picture if you want a better look :)

I rocked it with my four very cool neighbors. Rosanne, Jess, Jeana, and Nanette.


BEFORE

AFTER

Thanks Jen for babysitting my kids. We had a great time and I hope to do it again next year.

7 comments:

Ed and Susan said...

WAY TO GO! SUZANNE YEA! so glad you did so well after all the hard training. We're proud of your enthusiasm and willingness stick to it.

Luv ya,

Mom & Dad

Jess said...

You are amazing Suzanne. Way to go on your awesome time! I had a great time at this one too! [which really surprised me :) because I didn't feel prepared] Tell Jason that he needs to give Dan, Clay and Armando lessons on how to do that whole cheering-on-at-the-transition thing and the pre-race pics and whatnot. I think they got to the race about 10 minutes before Rosanne finished... what can you do! I am lucky to have such cool people to do these things with. I look forward to many more.

Jess said...

and p.s. I am going to steal that pre-race pic from you for my post! :)

janet said...

Very impressive.... Jason. If you actually did all those things Suz said you did, you over did yourself!

No, really-- way to go, Suzanne. My cousins do the Spudman every year and they love it. What a great thing to get addicted to!

janet said...

ps. taking pictures of men in itsy-bitsy speedos IS hard work! But probably not as difficult as it was for him to ride a bike in one! Wowzas!

Casey Hyer Photography said...

Congratulations on conquering another triathlon! You really are one tough cookie!

Annejelynn said...

you are a lil' stinker, Suz! The last time we talked, I asked if you'd been up to anything and um, ya failed to mention you'd just done another triathlon!?!

Well, kudos to you! An awesome inspiration!