Saturday, July 19, 2008

Well that was nostalgic



As a child, from the time I can remember, I worked at the Château Après Lodge (www.chateauapres.com/ ) as a maid. My parents own the lodge and it is a family run business. I learned in the very early years of elementary school how to vacuum stairs, rooms, halls, and the lobby. As I got into the later years of elementary school I made beds (army style), dusted, did dishes, swept floors, cleaned windows, and folded towels. The final initiation to becoming a full-blown maid was in middle school when I learned the art of cleaning the bathrooms (shower, sink, toilet, and floor).

Throughout the years my maid service hours were mostly obtained in the summer, which continued on even through college. Jason was recruited to the business the day we got home from our honeymoon. We spent our first four summers together living and working at the lodge.

Growing up, we did have a house but my siblings and I spent most of our time at the lodge. During the school year the bus would drop us off at the lodge where we would eat dinner and get home just in time to go to bed. In the summer we spent all our time at the lodge. After our work was done we spent much of the days swimming at the lodge pool, roaming around Main Street and the Park City Resort, playing at the city park, or riding bikes among the historical houses which are all nearby.

“Living” and working at the lodge was just part of life. One of the greatest lessons I learned as a child was how to work. I learned it from watching my parents work hard. There has never been a job too menial for them. My dad was and still is the chief maid who probably doesn’t go a day without cleaning a bathroom (even at the young age of 69). My mom has always put in her fair share of dirty work on top of correspondence. Watching them work and also being expected to pull my own weight has probably been the biggest influence on who I am today.

Friday and Saturday was very nostalgic for me. It was the yearly “spring” cleaning where everyone in my family (brothers, sisters, in-laws) who can make it to Park City work together and we clean the lodge top to bottom. This year was the first year my three oldest kids were given the chance to help. I watched as Morgan was dedicated to her responsibilities of putting pillow covers on every single pillow, putting soap and toilet paper in the bathrooms, and putting cups in the rooms.

Ashtyn was focused on putting pillowcases on every single pillow and trash bags in the garbage cans. She helped me make beds and put cups in the rooms.

Chandler did awesome with all his responsibilities. He distributed the correct sheets and bed spreads to each room. He helped put mattress pads on the beds and vacuumed stairs.

Ethan kept me multitasking. While I was dusting and making beds I always had an ear and eye out making sure he wasn't doing anything too unsafe.

After the two days of work my dad sat them down on the couch and explained the importance of working. “I want you to know that when you work sometimes you get money and sometimes you don’t. Today I’m going to give you money.” They each walked out with $10.

I’ve always struggled with trying to figure out how to teach my kids the value of work. Since Jason and I don’t own a business I think it’s going to be hard. If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it, but at least for this week I am grateful they were able to learn a little something about work and they were proud of their accomplishments.

4 comments:

Jess said...

What a great lesson for your kids and a great family tradition. [They are SO cute!]

Thanks again for the workout last week. Now at least I can finish the race next Saturday :)

rosanne said...

You and Jason will, like always, teach by example...just like the rest of us learn from you!

What a great experience to share with your kids, though!

janet said...

Love this post. It really doesn't matter how much money you have, but that you learn to WORK HARD.. so that you can really appreciate it. Your kids are learning by example and will go far in life! That's why I really want Ash or Morgan to marry one of my boys! They are growing up so fast!

and it looks like Morgan got ripped off after all her hard work. Did she only do half the job that the others did-- or is did she pocket the other $5? cute, cute kids! LOVE the pictures of Ethan!!

Anonymous said...

love to give Ashtyn a work out on that bed she would be nice and tight