Sunday, September 14, 2008

She's a believer

This is a letter written by Ashtyn after the Tooth Fairy
did a no show two nights in a row.

She was so excited that the Tooth Fairy wrote back.
(little blue pen hand writing)

There are a few words that you could use to describe Ashtyn. Some may use the words gullible, naive, ditsy, or air headed. I'll just call her trusting.

She always has been.

When Ashtyn was a bit younger her uncle Casey told her that she should put her gum in her hair. "OK."

A week ago my kids slept at my parents' house. The next day I asked Ashtyn what she did with Grandpa and Grandma. "We played tennis, and on the way back to their house (1 mile away) there were all these detours (4 miles worth) that lead us to McDonald's... (weird)."

The other day Chandler and Ashtyn were talking about how good the school orange chicken lunch was. Ashtyn informed us, "Did you know that it's not really chicken, it's squid. The lunch worker told me."

I tried to explain to Ashtyn that sometimes people lie, sometimes people are kidding, and sometimes people are telling the truth. Sincerely she asked, "But how can I tell the difference?"

I love the innocence and sweetness of Ashtyn. She reminds me that people believe what they hear so it's best to speak kindly.


12 comments:

janet said...

Blogs were created so that parents with darling, gullible, wonderful kids could post letters written to the toothfairy. And I am SO glad I got to read the response. Weird that the toothfairy was in Europe when she came to our house without any problems. Hm..

LOVE Ashtyn and her innocence! Seriously, I've got to figure out a way to get one of my girls to marry her!

janet said...

Why I wrote girls instead of boys, is beyond me. Part of me wants to keep the comment like it is so that others who read will think that either Ashtyn (or my girls) are mini-lesbians. But I will come clean and say that I have no girls and have no idea why I wrote that. Positive thinking maybe?

rosanne said...

We love Ashtyn. Thank goodness for belief and faith, both of which she has!

By the way, The tooth fairy forgot Lucy's tooth 3 or 4 days in a row...she finally asked if the tooth fairy was real, and I asked her what she thought. She said she didn't think so. Probably because she knows how forgetful her mom can be and that the tooth fairy, if she WAS real, wouldn't forget!

Teresa said...

That is so cute and sweet. Hopefully she never loses how trusting she is and seeing the good in everyone.

Jess said...

Gullible, trusting... or HONEST. How cute!

I left the tooth fairy notes, but it was only because I wanted my money and I knew that my parents didn't know my tooth had fallen out. :)

I was the youngest and they were trying to keep me their baby... [I found it a bit annoying!]

Wendy said...

It is precious that Ashtyn is concerned about the tooth fairy's safety and not so much the money. She is so lovely!

sister wendy

Casey Hyer Photography said...

I still feel bad about that gum thing. That was crazy!

Em said...

I love that!!!

Bonnie said...

I just LOVE that Ashtyn! Sweet and innocent. Once, Brock lost his tooth and the tooth fairy kept forgetting to pay him, so one morning when he woke up and found money under his pillow--imagine how SURPRISED the Tooth Fairy was!! It's a good thing he has an older brother who is loving ancd caring (and had a little money) or he might have had problems for life!

Natty bee Seely said...

New Family photo. I am loving it. You always look so good. So give me a date that we can get together. We need to reconnect.

Kristi said...

We just love Ashtyn.. What a great kid.... Hey love the new family picture.

Mary said...

Ashtyn Is so cool.
I wish I still belived in the tooth fairy.