Sunday, August 10, 2008

IV fluids anyone???

Two weeks ago Morgan got very sick. She had a high fever, fatigue, nausea, and vomiting.

Suzanne spent two days doing her best to take care of her. Morgan doesn't complain much, even when she is sick. She kept a barf bucket nearby and spent two days on the couch. While at work Suzanne called me to let me know that Morgan wasn't getting any better. She hadn't eaten for 2 1/2 days and threw up any liquids given to her. Of course Morgan would eventually get better but we knew if we could hydrate her the recovery would happen much quicker.

At the hospital bags of IV fluid are prepared for use on patients, but many times they are not used before they expire and expired fluid is thrown away. I brought a bag of fluid home that was going to expire. Suzanne talked with Morgan about whether or not she wanted an IV. Suzanne told Morgan that she didn't have to have an IV but that it would help her. "Your stomach doesn't want water so Dad would put the water in your vein and I promise it will help you feel better." Morgan has always been able to trust me and Suz if we explain things to her. (Like when we told her she should go on "The Bat" ride at Lagoon. Even though it looks scary we knew she'd like it. She trusted us and now it's her favorite ride). Anyway, we told her it would hurt a little bit but not as bad as a shot. As she layed on the couch she was a little scared but wanted more than anything to not be sick, so she agreed to an IV. I used a little local anesthetic which was the only painful part and then started the IV. As I was getting the needle in the vein Chandler and Ashtyn both watched with wide eyes. "Does that hurt Morgan? You're brave, I would never let Dad do that to me." Morgan laid perfectly still in Suzanne's arms, never looking at what I was doing. After I had the IV in her hand we laid her on a blanket on the ground, hooked her up to the fluid, and hung the bag on a door with a hanger. When the fluid was all in I took out the IV and gave her a priesthood blessing that she would soon feel better. Thirty minutes later Morgan was in her room with Chandler and Ashtyn watching a movie on the laptop. The next morning Morgan woke up perfectly healthy and starving.

I'm sure the blessing was a big reason she felt better, but I can't help but feel extremely grateful that I have a job where I can help my family when they are sick. It was really a neat experience for me, and I'm glad she trusted me to do it for her.

So, the next time any of you are sick and need an IV, give me a call and I'll be happy to stick a needle into you. I promise it won't hurt me a bit. :)

3 comments:

Natty bee Seely said...

Good to know we have someone on the side of our veins. I hate IV's. Kate had one in ER like 2 months, and it is amazing what a little fluid will do. Does jason do many entries?

Marcie said...

SUZANNE!!!!! How are you doing? I just found your blog on heather's and I'm so excited. What a beautiful family you have. We need to get together with everybody. Where are you living and what have you been up to over the years?!!

Casey Hyer Photography said...

Poor little Morgan. She is honestly a very unique and special girl. She constantly amazes me with her maturity and self confidence. I am looking forward to an IV this winter when I get sick from all the little children at school.