Wednesday, August 13, 2008

What was I thinking?

If you are employed at Child Protective Services, do not read this. If you are not employed at CPS please do not turn me in.

Ethan cheated death two times this week despite my stupidity.

1. Friday Jen took my van and all the nieces and Chandler to an early dinner. The plan was for me to meet them at 6 p.m., three blocks away at the elementary school where football practice was. Since Jen had my van and the car seat, I plopped a 22 month old, unrestrained child in the back seat of Jen's Subaru and headed to the school. As I was stopped at a stop sign, waiting to turn on the road the school is on, Ethan opened the back door. Yah….not too smart. We all know what could have happened. Ethan could have easily chosen to open that door a few seconds before or after when the car was moving. It’s hard to think about.

2. Tuesday, after a two-hour football practice, there was a parent/coach meeting. I thought it was going to be a quick meeting telling us the etiquette rules for a football game. Like, not yelling at the refs, no profanity, no punching or stabbing… things of that nature. I told the kids to walk 100 yards to the car, get Ethan in his car seat, and buckle up. It ended up that the meeting consisted of everything we needed to know about the coaches and what to expect during the season. 40 minutes later I walked to the car and found all the kids happily playing at the playground located directly in front of my car. I was so glad they weren’t miserable waiting for me. As we were loading the car Chandler said, “Ethan almost got hit by a car. A model airplane crashed in the parking lot and Ethan ran to get it. I ran after him and luckily the guy stopped.” Did you just cringe like I did? On top of that, Ethan was basically playing for 40 minutes "supervised" by an inexperienced, barely nine year old "babysitter".

Lucky??? I think not.

There are many blessing that I am regularly thankful for. One of them is safety. I am frequently amazed at the miracle of safety. I know there are tragedies surrounding us but so far my family has been protected, including parents, siblings, nieces and nephews on both Jason's side and mine. I once again thank my Heavenly Father for safety.

How many times do you think you have “cheated” death?


What would I do without this kid?

7 comments:

Wendy Bird said...

Oh funny! Poor kid doesn't stand a chance! haha Good thing we are going on vacation.....I think you need it!

Julie said...

Scary! I'm so grateful all turned out well. He is so adorable! Have fun on your vacation. Thanks for visiting Pam with me.

Wendy said...

There are so many "what if's" with children. I would keep my kids physically attached to me if I could stand it. I always remember coming home from work at 1:30 a.m. and finding Tanner roaming around in the street...what if? eeeek!


sister wendy

Bonnie said...

Oh, those wonderful "I'm such a BAD MOTHER moments"!!We've all had (and are having) them. That's why we learn how to pray and pray and pray! I always ask Heavenly Father to remember that they were His first and remind Him that He may need to override me big time on a regular basis!!

Ed and Susan said...

I'm thankful my dieing brain cells don't allow me to remember all the "close calls" you and your siblings had as little ones. There is some comfort in aging. I shutter to think that we never used seat belts or car seats . . . it's a wonder you survived at all.

rosanne said...

Suzanne...you're the best mom ever...I heard Nate crying in the backyard the other day and thought he would come find me if he was really hurt. Well, a few minutes later, still crying, I realized he was pinned under a playhouse that Peter had rolled on top of him. I think you're okay...I wonder about myself, though!

janet said...

girl, that's nothing compared to what I've been through.. I mean, did he DRIVE YOUR CAR in the middle of a busy post office parking lot? No? well, when something like that happens, then we can talk.

His face is mighty cute, though! He's definitely a Poulsen... cute, and always livin' on the edge~