Thursday, August 21, 2008

Girls just want to have fun

As the saying goes, "there's a first time for everything". That is one way I can describe last weekend.

IT WAS MY FIRST TIME:
  • going on a girls vacation with friends since my single college days. (I spent 2 1/2 days with Amber, Nicki, Wendy, and Kristi. We drove to St. George and spent two nights at a time share condo that Amber was able to get.)

  • canyoneering. (We went to Zion's National Park and canyoneered through Pine Creek- a beautiful, narrow canyon. It consisted of six rappels, the longest one was a 100 foot free hanging rappel. The canyon was very wet due to frequent flash floods this year. We swam from one rappel to the next, and each rappel landed in a pool of water. We were so grateful for our wet suits...that water was cold! Amber and Kristi did a great job keeping us alive, as they were in charge of the technical skills. It was an awesome eight hour experience. We had a lot of fun and a lot of laughs.)


  • doing the Chinese fire drill, (yes we are all in our thirties and forties.)


  • I have been around friends who talked like teenagers since I was an actual teenager. (It's best not to elaborate.)


  • eating two nights in a row at Outback Steakhouse.


  • posing for pictures in a local's front yard that was xeriscaped with wire sculptures.


  • being mooned by my sister in law while talking on the phone to Jason. (Was that too much information?)


  • enjoying a magic show from a very nice grandpa at the local Wendy's in Beaver. He made salt disappear and then reappear, he had coins change while Amber was holding them tight in her hands, he asked us each to pick a number and then read our minds of what number we each picked. Why did the grandpa do magic tricks for us? I guess he saw five girls who were wrapping up a youthful weekend.

During the weekend I learned more than just how to canyoneer. Those awesome girls reminded me that no matter how "old" you are, enjoy being young once in awhile.


  • Get out of your comfort zone and enjoy adventures.

  • I've often said the phrase, "what's the point?". It's fun to do things...even when there IS NO POINT.

  • It's ok to yell, "again, again!!!" when you think a magic trick is pretty cool.

  • Sing a song at the top of your lungs, even though you've never had voice lessons. It sounds really good if you're confident and having fun. (We sang a beautiful harmonizing version of "doe a deer, a female deer" in the echoing canyon while rappelling into a nasty pool of water.)

  • "Jinx, you owe me a Coke" never goes out of style.

There's nothing wrong with getting old, but you always have to stay young at heart.

watching Kristi rappel at the left




me rappelling




there was plenty of water




taking a break




We made it out alive!!!

13 comments:

Julie said...

What a great adventure! I'm glad you had a safe and fun time.

Casey Hyer Photography said...

Looks and sounds like you had so much fun! I think I'd like that. I'm glad you overcame your fear of heights (at least enough) to do it. Girl trips are the best aren't they?!

Bonnie said...

Oh, my gosh! You guys are incredible! I would be jealous, but I'm very claustrophobic and some of those places would do me in! What a trip!

Teresa said...

That is so hilarious! Girl trips are the best. They really should become tradition and done on a regular basis. I had my first one since marriage this spring with my sister-in-law and stepmother going to surprise my stepsister in Colorado for her baby shower and I hadn't giggled like that or gotten that crazy since I was teenager and felt so much younger than I care to admit. I guess these husbands and children just slow us down. But after your experiences that may be a good thing in some cases. :) It's great you have friends that share your same interests also and that you can let loose with!

Casey Hyer Photography said...

You can take whatever you want from my blog. By the way, love the updated pictures of the kids. Are those professionally done? I bet they cost a fortune, ; - )

Jess said...

You guys are so cool! I am glad you had a great time.

Church Fam said...

What a cool trip, looked so fun!

kennoncrew said...

you go girls! i love being surrounded by such awesome ladies! i am also glad that all the wee ones seem to survive with all our brainlessness (you are definately not alone!)

Em said...

FUN!! Good for you, next time I want to go :)

Kristi said...

It was way fun to spend the weekend with some wonderful women. I am glad you came and I am glad you had a good time. Where should our next adventure be?

Wendy Bird said...

Well I have to say....it was one heck of a weekend:) I needed to laugh and I did plenty of that. I am glad we got some good pictures. The car ride home was a hoot. We should start a singing group haha Josh would want us to sing You raise me Up with him for sure.

stef said...

SOOO fun! There is just something great that happens when women get together and men just don't understand it. And I am with Emily on this one, "next time I want to go!"

Natty bee Seely said...

Next time I want to be invited. Too much fun.