Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The 12-day Countdown til 2009

I started the month with a list; I might as well end the month with a list. “Lists” are kind of my style.
(I recently took a personality test that rated me extremely high on being “conscientious”, “perfectionist”… really? Hum…)

SUNDAY 21st we drove to Kaysville for my nephew Tanner’s birthday party. Good boy, good food, and good people.
MONDAY 22nd night I had my friend Heather and her kids over for dinner and family home evening. It has been 14 years since we were roommates at Rick’s College and 8 years since I last saw her. The second she walked in my door it was as if we were roommates last year. Though so much has changed in both our lives, it seemed as if nothing had changed at all. She is a dear friend of mine who is an example of strength, courage, and faith.
TUESDAY 23rd I cooked a huge batch of chocolate chip cookies for Santa with my good friend Wendy. I have to say it was the best batch of cookies I have ever made. Not too long ago Morgan was so impressed with my sister-in-law Trisha who made homemade cookies. “Wow, my mom doesn’t know how to make cookies.” I sure showed her. Or maybe it wasn’t my fantastic cooking skills but just the pound of sweet butter the recipe called for…who knows.
TUESDAY NIGHT was sub for Santa night. For years my siblings and their spouses picked each other’s names and gave a Christmas gift to that person. Last year we started a tradition that instead of picking names we would put the money together and buy for a family in need. My sister Alisa is a second grade teacher and found out about a few families in need at her school. The families write down some needs and wants, we shop, and then Santa and his little children elves deliver the gifts. Do I tell you this to brag about what “good” people we are? Ahhh… NO. I think it takes a lot more character to be the one receiving than the one giving. I learned from those wonderful families that it takes humility to ask for and receive help. Am I humble enough to receive help when I need it, whatever help that might be? I wonder if I miss out on blessings because I’m not humble enough to receive help.
WEDNESDAY 24th was the Hosenfeld Christmas Eve dinner, “talent” show, and gift giving. It was way fun! The coolest part was finding out my sister Alisa is pregnant with her first baby!



THURSDAY 25th morning Santa came! Five hours after opening Santa’s gifts Chandler asked a very important question. “I saw the XBOX games and Rock Band in the basement a while ago and then they were under the tree. Is Santa for real?” After a heartfelt conversation Chandler now knows that Santa is not a man in a big red suit with reindeer. However Chandler still and hopefully always will believe in the Santa spirit. I still ask, “How did Santa know that you would love that gift?” Chandler answers, “He knows everything.” Chandler is right I do know everything. :)

Jason and my kids spent Christmas day at Jason’s parent’s house. They played games and had a blast. I stayed for a few hours before heading home to nap before working a night shift at the hospital.
FRIDAY 26th night was the extended Poulsen family day after Christmas Party. That’s always a good time. After getting home we had to end the day with a late night dose of Rock Band with my neighbors/family members Jared, Nanette, Matt, and Kristi.
SATURDAY 27th we went sledding. Aren’t humans strange? We hike up a snowy hill, slide down on a sled for 10 seconds, hike back up, slide back down, hike back up…very strange.









After sledding we cooked for Ashtyn's baptism party.

SUNDAY 28th was Ashtyn’s baptism. The coolest part was to see the excitement on her face. She was thrilled.

MONDAY 29th we went ice-skating, another strange thing that humans do. We skate on ice around and around and around and around…



If that wasn’t enough fun for the day we went to the Mayan and waited 1 hour and 47 minutes to get a table. What kind of idiot, besides Jason and me, would wait that long to eat at a stupid restaurant? We did try to bribe the kids out of it. “We can go see any movie you want.” “No. We want the Mayan.” “If we leave, you can go to any other restaurant in the world.” “No, we want the Mayan” Crap!!!



TUESDAY 30th night I am heading to the hospital to spend 12 hours with 2 pound premature babies. It's much more of a blessing to be there than it is work. (Isn't she cute??!!)


WEDNESDAY 31st I’m going to stay home for New Years Eve while Jason works….and then it will be 2009.

I wonder what will fill my calendar in 2009?

As my sister Wendy said, because of my “strong family ties, we will never know loneliness, boredom, or isolation which is so common in a world where most people pride themselves on being independent.”

During 2009 I really need to reach out to those who are lonely, bored, or isolated. I have plenty to share.

6 comments:

janet said...

Wow! What a celebration! Congrats to Ashtyn on her big baptism day!! Wish we could have been there. How do they grow up so fast?

Love the Sub for Santa idea. It's so true about it being harder to except help than to give it. There are a lot of people who really need it (and who deserve so much more than we give!)

And I so love your comments about sledding/ice skating. We are such weird creatures... it's so much work to walk up that hill with frozen fingers and little people to carry. The misery we put ourselves through for a little "FUN" is actually disturbing.

I really enjoyed hearing your conversation with Chandler about Santa. Sometimes I feel so guilty because I am MAKING my kids believe in Santa. I will lie to them bold-face so they can have "FUN" but I know I will have to break the truth to them sooner or later. and it will be no big deal, right?

Tell Jason thanks for his comment on my blog, it made me laugh... and I forwarded it to Aaron at work. Aaron didn't really get why Jason thinks he's hot (because he doesn't know I wrote anything about him for his birthday... he probably won't ever know.) We hope to move to Oakledge Road soon... because you can never have too many family members on your street. Yes, we're practically family.

Okay, last thing: WAY TO GO on the cookie making! I am so proud!

Kristi said...

Even when we are on a holiday break your family keeps going and going and going like energizer bunnies. :) The sub for Santa idea is awesome.

rosanne said...

Seriously, where do you find the energy and still have a smile on your face?

Thanks for including Lucy in your ice-skating fun. She had a blast!

Em said...

Suzanne I love reading your blog because you have such a great outlook on life. Looks like you had a great holiday too. CHEERS!

Jess said...

As usual, a great list!

I love your pictures of your "patient..." [is she even big enough to be called that?] so tiny and wonderful that you help to keep them alive.

Keep on posting so I can be inspired by the way you manage your priorities while living live at a break-neck pace :)

Bonnie said...

Jason's comment this morning on my blog just cracked me up! What a great way to start my morning! I think I've been overstressing the food storage goal--now (thanks to Jason), I think I'll store 365 boxes of Kraft Macaroni & Cheese, 365 bottles of spagetti sauce (and spagetti) and 365 packages of pancake mix. There! All done!