Saturday, December 27, 2008

Small and Simple Things

For years I have recognized that for some reason when Chandler is having a good day, when he is happy, obedient, and has the Spirit, I have a good day. When I have a good day the entire family has a good day. (Happy wife, happy life.) I don't know why this phenomenon happens or why Chandler's Spirit affects our family so noticeably.

Last Saturday morning I could tell right away it was going to be an irritable day because Chandler woke up with a punk attitude.
At 10:00 a.m. we headed out the door to take our turn cleaning the church building.

TIME LINE:
10:04 I dragged Chandler into the church by his ear, (back, cheek, and whatever else I could pinch) and said sternly, "every time you're a punk you get 30 minutes in your room." (Now that's a stiff penalty, but I'd already had it with him.)
10:05 he walked into the church, sat on a chair, and moped.
10:08 I handed him a cloth and Windex and asked if he would wash all the windows.
10:09 his heart really wasn't into it.
10:22 Chandler was working hard in the chapel helping the men vacuum.
10:40 I asked Chandler if he wanted me to take over vacuuming the benches. He wanted to finish it himself.
10:55 Chandler headed out of the church a new boy. He was happy, nice, and had the Spirit.

(It would have taken us longer to clean our half of the building but Ron, the father of the family that cleaned with us, got to the church earlier than our appointed time, cleaned the bathrooms and vacuumed--he's awesome!!)

After getting home I asked Chandler why he was so different. He knew it was because he served.

Isn't it amazing that less than an hour worth of service brought the Spirit to our family? But if you think about it, it really comes as no surprise.

"Love the Lord thy God with all thy heart."
"When ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God."

There is obviously no better way to have the Spirit than through service. I hope to do more of it this coming year!

4 comments:

Wendy said...

I find that when I "make" Hailey help me with housework we end up being closer. She treats me with more respect and has pride in the work she has accomplished. She'll say, "ok, mom, you can check my work now." She'll be beaming with accomplishment because she knew she did a good job and that she helped me out. We both end up having a great day with lots of I love you's. Weird huh?

Ed and Susan said...

Glad Chandler is learning this "age old truth". It's taken us many more years to learn this simple truth. Appreciation for each other has always been the end result of helping each other. Working with Dad whether it be shoveling or helping at the lodge brings many rewards.

McKinlay Family said...

You are amazing. Can I be your next door neighbor? I could use a good influence like you more often...

Natty bee Seely said...

So how is the dollar bill baby. How many weeks was the baby when it was born. What a rewarding, but challenging job. I miss you.